Thursday, December 11, 2014

Haircuts, K-Stew, Girlgangs

About a fortnight ago I had a fairly drastic haircut. It might have been three weeks ago - I'm not very good at keeping up with time passing. This ties in pretty neatly to why I'm not very good at haircuts. I think it has been a year since my last haircut. It might have been ten months, I'm not sure and I don't really care. It has certainly been long enough that whatever discipline that last hairdresser tried to impose on my hair has long since disappeared. I let my hair do its own thing for the most part - I wash it, I tie it up, I forget about it.



For me, the amount of time and effort I put into any given part of my body/appearance/self presentation is pretty much directly inversely proportional to the  'goodness' of that thing. Obviously that's super freighted and societal pressures and all of you is perfect just the way it is... blah blah. But, subjectivity aside, my skin is BAD so I put a lot of my energy and vanity budget into skincare and makeup. My makeup routine is pretty settled at the moment, I've come to a happy place with an affordable primer, foundation and concealer that I'm basically content with, but my skincare is in fairly regular flux. I find reading and watching videos about skincare legit fascinating and I always want to try new things in the (mostly) specious hope that this will be the product that changes everything - the holy grail of skin. My hair though, my hair is objectively GOOD. It is thick and soft and it grows fast. It isn't prone to split ends or noticeable damage (although this might be because I rarely tamper with it) and it is healthy and shiny (although not shiny like famous people and beauty spreads). My hair is nice and so... I totally disregard it. I use cheap shampoo, I never heat treat it, I rarely even brush it. I run some hair oil through it when it's wet but otherwise I just tie it up and keep it out of my face. Why waste effort on something that is fundamentally satisfactory? This possibly says alarming things about my thought processes and self esteem but bigger fish, ya know.



That isn't to say I don't mess around with my hair. I had a fringe for a long time and then I spent a long time growing it out. I first dyed my hair pink when I was thirteen and it has rarely seen its natural colour since then. I dyed it dark once, in an attempt to look like Kristen Stewart, but it washed me out. I henna-ed it a powerful orange for a long time, channeling Karen Elson and Florence Welsh and every red head I've ever loved (and there is no doubt that red is the greatest colour), and then spent a long time growing that out. The process of growing these things out, the ginger ombré, was undignified but I didn't really care. It was still basically good hair. I wish it was curly. I wish it held a 'do', the three times a year I actually try to style it, but whatever.



I had been considering cutting it short approximately forever. Why not? I procrastinated because I didn't think it would suit my blob face and I enjoy the convenience of a bun and it might puff out into an awkward triangle without the weight of x feet of hair. Also, I'm very wary of hairdressers and their repeated, apparently irresistible, urge to cut me a mullet. Historically I have asked for everything but a mullet and that is the only haircut I have ever received. Variations on a mullet, sure, a floppy 90s boyband mullet, a kind of fashion punk mullet, 'The Rachel' mullet, but a mullet nonetheless. All bad. It is no wonder I tie my hair up so much. There has been a lot of unwanted feathering. Still, I was sick of the sameness and I wanted a change, however badly it might go.



It's not really that short. I had about a foot hacked off and it is still only about collarbone length. What I really fancied was the full K-Stew but I wasn't bold enough. Baby steps for the lethargic. I was in love with Kristen's old hair, I am in love with Kristen's new hair. Much like Mallory, I am basically in love with Kristen. She is the greatest. I love her beautiful sullen face, I love her dirty tomboy style. I think she is fabulous. I tried to explain my love to a non-believer the other day and couldn't convince them that angry, angular and androgynous are the dream adjectives for a young woman. They were WRONG obviously. K-Stew's style is in a particularly glorious place at the moment. Because I am a stalker I have recently started following kristenstewartfashionstyle on Tumblr and it is the best decision I have ever made. Possibly, it is the best website on the internet. Look at her rugged, lesbian, hipster chic! The hair, the beat up trainers, the ripped jeans, the many perfect jumpers. She is the scruffy indie rock god every teenage girl lusts after. And she has many similarly cool lady friends. I WANT TO BE IN THEIR GANG/BAND/WHATEVER. They are all delightful. My new hair, nice as it is, will not do the trick. One day I am going to accept that nothing I can do with my hair will turn me into Kristen Stewart but that day is not today. Nor is it likely to be a day anytime soon...



1 comment:

  1. I could never pull it off but sometimes would so like to... now for pictures of your hair!

    ReplyDelete