Monday, September 1, 2014

Friday Sound: Babe Alert



I'm going to write an actual post about Barf Troop soonish because they're great.



Lady got moves.



Robyn robyn robyn robyn. Also, Busiswa.



Man, LP1 is a great album and Two Weeks is the entry point. I have been looking forward to Twigs' full album fo'eva and I don't think it disappoints. She is weird perfection. Molly Lambert has written my favourite FKA Twigs piece so far. Go forth and read Smooth Operator: FKA Twigs’ Brilliantly Unclassifiable Debut Album. I group Twigs with the recent wave of nu-rnb female singers and Lambert questions whether that is racist and reductive. I agree that post-internet music generally and Twigs particularly resist simplistic genre classification but there is a group of young, black girls who are creating a new, if not similar then perhaps adjacent, sound and I think that it has strong rnb/hip hop elements. I dunno, I have neither the historical knowledge nor the technical ear to argue persuasively about music but it is definitely something to consider. Follow up link: You Say Hipster R&B, I Say Nappy-Headed Pop. Either Way, It's Offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment