Thursday, August 7, 2014

Internet Food

I am rubbish at photographically recording the food I cook and eat. In fact, I'm pretty confident that there are more examples of my bemoaning this failing  than there are actual, passable pictures on this blog. I can live with that. I'd rather eat my food when it is perfect than photograph it. I was going to say something grandiose about valuing pleasure over beauty but I'm not sure if that it true/applicable...

Still, I made a quick meal the other night that was really aesthetically pleasing and right up the interwebz' street. I don't live and die by my food being pretty, I'd rather it tasted great, but would you look at that:


Isn't it lovely?? It has everything the internet loves - vegetables on toast, vegetables that have been artfully griddled, fresh herbs, clean colours... The works. This would totally fly on Instagram. Not that I have Instagram (is that something we need to discuss? I don't think my life needs Instagram. My smartphone isn't very smart and I think one image-based app is enough and I'm always going to go Tumblr over Instagram because Tumblr is hilarious and overflowing with cat gifs and smart people and interesting debates as well as the nice pictures) but I know my avocado-on-toast.

Anyway, dinner was as fast and delicious as it was attractive so I thought I'd share. Obviously this isn't very complicated but god knows when I last put up any kind of recipe so here goes.

Ingredients:

  • An amount of good broccoli: tenderstem, purple sprouting, young tips, whatever. Enough to cover as many pieces of toast as you want to make as thickly as you like. V scientific, I know.
  • Olive oil, salt and pepper, fresh red chilli for seasoning your greenery.
  • Ricotta: I used two parts ricotta to one part goats' cheese. This was light and springy. I arguably could have taken more goats' cheese (100% for example) but I am a bottomless pit for goats' cheese and I appreciate that it would have overbalanced the fressh flavourz.
  • Goats' cheese: a soft, easily crumble-able one.
  • Lemon: juice and zest.
  • Sourdough: N.B. I actually didn't have any sourdough because my life is hard. *sniff*
  • Basil oil: I made some basil oil for another recipe earlier in the week and this stuff is hardcore. It was, I think, 80g basil, three garlic cloves and 200ml olive oil. I was just absently following the recipe and I didn't question the ratios. Man, this is the kind of garlicky that tastes spicy and will not be removed with toothpaste. It is intense but it's also basically amazing and it will kick whatever you dress it with up a whole other level.
  • An 'erb to dress: I used parsley because at some point in the process of becoming an adult and realising I adored coriander I noticed that I also liked parsley. It's no coriander but it's pretty good.
Recipe: (15 mins?)
  1. Season your broccoli.
  2. Griddle your broccoli. I mean, you could grill it instead but I have a beautiful new griddle pan and I just want to griddle all of my foods. Griddled broccoli is GOOD. Make sure that any woody bits get most of the heat. Cook until your thickest stalks are tender and you have some delicious burnt stripes.
  3. While your broccoli is a-griddling, mash together your ricotta, goats' cheese, lemon zest and juice (so I got five servings and a good balance of flavour out of 250g ricotta, 125g goats' cheese, the zest of one lemon and the juice of half a lemon) and salt/pepper to taste.
  4. Toast in the toaster.
  5. Toast > dairy confection > griddled vegetroubles > basil oil > herb.
  6. Eat.
It's good shit, man. Also, after six months or so of reading Bitches Gotta Eat (I know, I know, late to the party but think of the archives!) I feel like I should quit writing anything about food ever. I cannot compete. Ms Irby wins at everything.

2 comments:

  1. Oh get you, very "artisan" and hashtag ready! I agree, my food ain't pretty much I really don't mind either.

    So I wouldn't buy another Herschel bag again as mine ripped after about 8 or 9 months. I have few; Patagonia, Eastpack, and one by a tech brand called Dicota. I think they're the way to go. Printed Page, hells yes.

    Buckets & Spades

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum now that looks super good. Bread, cheese and veg? Does it get any better? Ah yes, gelato. Can't forget that

    ReplyDelete