Saturday, June 14, 2014

How Should a Person Be?: Ladies, Portraiture and Jack Davison

I am slightly addicted to portraiture. Or, more specifically, I am addicted to the ceaseless perusal of portraits of women. They draw my eye and hold my attention; they excite and enthral me. They are what I connect with when I wander around a gallery or browse the interweb. I could look at and, I hope, engage with portraits of women forever.



Sometimes these portraits are made by men but I don't think my interest is a male gaze thing. Partially, because I'm not male, but mostly because I don't think I am objectifying these women. If anything, I am subjectifying (??) them. I want to understand them and become them and experience their lives. I want to learn about the subject, myself and how to be a woman. The act, or at least my act, of becoming a woman, an adult, a human being is ongoing. When I look at portraits, besides admiring them aesthetically, I am trying to work out How Should a Person Be? (I am totally going to get around to reading that at some point btw.)



I think that's what I'm doing... It is hard to interrogate one's own behaviour honestly. Anyway, this is perhaps a needlessly philosophical introduction to a photographer I recently discovered and like a lot (and also a possible intro to a new series of posts). Jack Davison is painfully young but his photography, particularly his portraits, are beautiful. I want to have deep and meaningful conversations with these women.



That is all really. Do you have any thoughts? About identity or being a woman or looking at pictures of other humans. Any recommendations for photographers or artists also welcome, of course.

1 comment:

  1. I think about women much the same way - it's such an interesting topic, how we think of women, how we judge women, what we admire or abhor about them. These portraits make me fall a little bit in love / hate

    ReplyDelete