Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Article Reading Group



'Goodbye,' Sherlock fan-art by Alice

I went to add something to this post this morning and realised it was probably about time I pressed publish. I tend to just merrily and sporadically add things to this list as I go and it could become a monster if I'm not careful. It's pretty chunktastic as it is. As usual this reading group is only moderately up to date/topical but it is a particularly good selection of reading material, if I do say so myself. Some amazing things.

Transformation and Transcendence: The Power of Female Friendship - Emily Rapp: I am strongly of the belief that your best friend can be your person. "Here's the truth: friendship's between women are often the deepest and most profound love stories, but they are often discussed as if they are ancillary, 'bonus' relationships to the truly important ones. Women's friendships outlast jobs, parents, husbands, boyfriends, lovers and sometimes children."

Dangers of Traveling While Female - Tara Isabella Burton: "To be a Patrick Leigh Fermor, a Colin Thubron, a Norman Douglas or Paul Theroux, requires always saying yes. To not-get-raped, according to every lesson I – and so many other women – have been taught, so often requires saying no." I feel this very personally, it is so true and familiar. I would have liked to see a little less 'be happy with what you've got' and a little more analysis of cause and effect but still a great piece. I have forwarded this on to a couple of men.

Rape Joke, A Poem - Patricia Lockwood: There's nothing I can add to this.

107 Ironclad Rules for Writers Who Want to Be Better at Writing - Tom McAllister: Made me snort unattractively. Very funny. I want to read/write this book.
20. Always know what size shoes your characters wear. The soul is in the shoes.
23. Everyone moves clockwise. Counterclockwise is for anarchists
25. For every adverb you use, do five push-ups.
28. Just assume everyone has a weird fetish they’d like to keep secret.
49. If you’re stuck, introduce a blimp. Blimps expedite plot.
54. Present tense is for junkies and teenagers.
64. Your character may not be a caterer. There are more caterers in movies and novels than there have been throughout the history of the world.
65. See what you can do with SONAR.



Teju Cole's satire of the Washington Post article 9 questions about Syria you were too embarrassed to ask 
via Tumblr

The Intellectual Situation, the Editors at n+1: I have mixed feelings towards n+1 but Jonathan Franzen hated on this particular piece in his latest rage attack in the Guardian and, if I have learnt anything, it is that stuff J-Franz hates is generally worth a look. This is a delightful and slightly deranged ramble through the pasts, presents and futures of established literary magazines. It ponders the relationship between print and online media and although it sometimes seems to have a rather tenuous grasp of logic it is funny and worth reading. "Women, we mean the internet, are putting men, we mean magazine editors, out of work. The internet, we mean women, never pays for its content — or for their drinks! The only dignified solution for publications like the Atlantic is to die, alone and unread, in the ghost town of the printed word. But the Atlantic has chosen the survivalist alternative: abandoning the old settlement for the domestic, we mean digital, realm, where it gives women what they want and, even more than what they want, what they fear."

So read anything good recently? Any article recommendations? Let me know. I want to read the stuff.

Chuck x

1 comment:

  1. Chuck, I'm definitely checking out the one on female friendships and the rules for writers. Your character may not be a caterer - HAH! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete