Sunday, August 4, 2013

Many Things

So. 

MUCH NEWS.

Thing the First:
I have just got back from a fortnight in Sri Lanka! I know, exciting. It was, unsurprisingly, amazing. It was a real adventure and exactly what I needed - a complete break from everyday life. This was the first time in two years that I've had more than three days off and dammmmn, it felt good. I'm not going to go on about how great it was because that would be cruel but if you have been/are thinking of going/want to know more do let me know.


Kandy-Ella train journey

For reference, we flew to Colombo and traveled straight to Galle Fort, a beautifully preserved colonial town on the south coast. N.B. When a guide book talks about local monsoon seasons they are not kidding! Next stop, the hill capital Kandy - Buddhist relics, botanical gardens, much notable and alarming wildlife. From there we got the very beautiful and remarkably slow train to Ella, a hill town where we hiked and paddled in waterfalls. Onward to the ancient Dambulla cave temples and the castle remains perched atop Sigiriya rock before heading back to Colombo via Kandy and the Pinnewala Elephant Orphanage. A baby elephant pooed on its bro's face - possibly the highlight of my trip. It already feels a bit like it was all a dream...


Elephants!

Thing the Second:
I left my job! The day before we flew to Sri Lanka! Obviously this was pretty scary and I am going to miss the lovely people I worked with but I think it was the right choice. A) I got loads of cool presents and B)...


Galle sunset

Thing the Third:
I have a new job! I start tomorrow! (This is quite an exclamation mark heavy post - they're not usually my thing but I think the occasion calls for it.) Of course this is tied in with Thing the Second but it is a fairly major change of direction for me so I decided that it merited its own paragraph. Career wise, it should point me in the direction I think I want to go and although I'm a bit nervous I am also preeeeetty psyched. That's all I'm going to say for now but *fingers crossed*. 


Rawana Falls

Anyway, the reason I bring that up is that the new job will hopefully give me a bit more free time for writing/blogging/life and you should be seeing more of me around here. CM should start to look a bit less neglected and I will totally get back on top of things. I am flush with noble post-holiday resolutions!

All in all, EEK. 

Chuck x

5 comments:

  1. That's well good on the new job dude, best of luck for the new start tomorrow. What sector is it in, do you mind me asking? Sounds like you're happy about it though which is the main thing.

    Your trip looks excellent, thanks for excusing any bs and just showing us the good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza looks amazing, my grandmother used to go to Sri Lanka a lot.. gorgeous photos xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big congrats - that certainly was a lot of big news at once! Can't wait to hear more details about your new job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! How exciting! Your holiday looks like a dream, I'm super jealous.

    ReplyDelete