Thursday, June 13, 2013

Populaire


So I reckon the breakdown of Films I Watch looks something like this:

40% Dumb action films/films where things explode (R's choices)
40% Interesting, beautiful, worthwhile films that I appreciate but do not enjoy/emotionally connect with
10% Old favourites I have watched so many times I can quote at length
10% Surprising, exciting, fun new films that I actually bond with


The latter category are obviously rare and special and deserve to be hyped. Populaire falls into this category. I saw it at the cinema recently and it was a delight. It is charming - beautiful, sweet and silly without being moronic. It is a 1960s style romantic comedy (superior precursor to the romcom) about a French shopkeeper's daughter who dreams of escaping the tedium of rural life by becoming a secretary. [Different times; sure, there are things to be said re gender politics but for once I am going to refrain.] Her new boss enters her into a speed-typing competition and, of course, things snowball...  


The design is gorgeous, the costumes are perfect, the soundtrack is great. The cast is a treat, the romance is understated, the whole thing is cute without being cloying. They manage to inject excitement and tension into typing! And nothing blows up! I didn't cry and my attention didn't wander. That's really all I can ask. This film won't win any awards and it won't change your life but it is a deeply enjoyable 111 mins and if you get a chance to see it I would highly recommend it. There are some really horrible Hollywood trailers so I won't embed any but if you want to watch one this is better than most.

Has anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Chuck x


1 comment:

  1. Sounds wonderful. I think I've only been watching dumb action films lately, unfortunately

    ReplyDelete