Friday, March 1, 2013

Monreale





photo by Allie_Caulfield



photo by Neil Weightman


all runway shots from Style.com

Goodness but I loved Dolce & Gabbana's AW13 collection. I kind of think of the duo as un-fashion; occasionally one of their ideas/pieces/themes is picked up by the wider world but, for the most part, they are uninterested in the general movement of fashion and fashion is uninterested in them. They won't change the way that women dress in the way that Phoebe Phile did or capture the zeitgeist like Alexander Wang. They're not a brand I really identify with and I doubt they care since I'm hardly there target market. They just do their own thing, creating the clothes they like and being inspired by their own interests. Despite all this though, I think that there is actually quite a lot of overlap between Domenico and Stefano's interests and mine... Italian culture and history, Golden Age Hollywood, Sicily, extravagant beauty, Catholicism, kitsch. Those are a lot of my favourite things!

This season they were inspired by the cathedral of Monreale and who can blame them?? That is a cracking source of inspiration in my book. The twelfth century cathedral is a jewel in the hills above Palermo. We spent an hour hanging around a city car park waiting for a rather irregular bus and then another forty sweaty minutes or so on said bus to reach Monreale but it is definitely worth the effort. You arrive at the church hot and dirty but the cool, dark interior of the nave is so peaceful and the Byzantine mosaics are insane. That is the technical term anyway. They are so expansive and brilliantly preserved and they glow... All that gold and belief. They're wonderful and I want them all over my wardrobe.

The collection is screamingly Italian Catholic and I just love it. I have written on here about my enthusiasm for Catholic kitsch many many times before and I'm sure I will again. Religion aside, there is something about the combination of history, passion and extreme naffness that I find irresistible. I also love D&G's vision of the Sicilian widow who often reappears in their work - all lace and curves and mystique. And you know how I feel about grey. I love the punch of the red, I totally want a crown, basically all of it. Dolce & Gabbana, you ticked my boxes, thanks.

Chuck x

3 comments:

  1. I love interesting or quirky prints like this (that have nothing to do with florals/geometric shapes). these are awesome x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you posted this. This is one of my favorite collections so far. Interesting timing too for something like this to emerge...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is flipping gorgeous - my favourite that I've seen this year so far because of the boldness of the shapes and colours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete