Thursday, February 7, 2013

A Little Bit of Shopping



So I might not have had long in New York but I am nothing if not efficient. I may have made a couple of purchases. It would have been silly not to. The dollar is a bit disappointing at the mo but I can still just about argue that I'm saving money by shopping in the US. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.
  • Food based gifts from Dean & Deluca for R - multi coloured popcorn (I know!), dried chipotle chillis, za'atar spice mix and Mast Brothers Brooklyn blend chocolate. D&D is ridiculous and extravagant and delightful. The people who were there doing their weekly shopping baffled me but stocking the shop would probably be my dream job. They had a whole shelf dedicated to peanut butter! Fond British shout outs to the Hobnobs and Lyle's golden syrup. Sadly we didn't make it out to the beautiful looking Mast Bros. shop/factory in Brooklyn but if I flutter my eyelashes very prettily I might be able to try some of the product...
  • Elizabeth St is a pretty perfect shopping street - Erica Weiner, Le Labo, Aesop, the delightfully weird Love Adorned... I treated myself to a little reminder of our trip at Erica Weiner. Although I could have happily bought up most of the shop (funds permitting) I restrained myself to a lovely little pinkie ring. It is delicate and interesting and lovely and a perfect permanent addition to my fingers. More on that later.
  • Speaking of Le Labo, I've been wanting one of their fragrances for probably four years and this seemed like an excellent opportunity to indulge. The Rose 31 perfume oil was actually a very generous gift. I've found the oil lasts better on my skin than their EDTs which are lovely but not very long lasting.  They say: 'alternating feminine/masculine with the disturbing ambiguity of the Centifolia rose, quickly picked up by a chorus of warm, spicy and woodsy notes such as cumin, olbanum, cedar and a touch of amber.' I say: 'a very physical, peppery, non-flowery rose scent - delicious and not at all girly'.
As my maternal grandmother would say, I'm so spoiled! Obviously it's very luxurious but scent and jewellery are wonderful ways to preserve memories. I'll remember this trip whenever I glance down at my hand or catch a waft of my wrist - what more could you ask?

Chuck x

7 comments:

  1. Hmm that fragrance sounds awesome

    NRC ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovelies! Scent and jewelry (and foodstuffs) are my indulgences too, and a grand idea for souvenirs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh multi colour popcorn? I'm in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo you picked up some good things. Did you eat some black and white cookies while you were there? Those always remind me of NYC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah you got the Mast bros. good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a steller trip, definitely hitting you up for some New York tips!

    ReplyDelete