Sunday, December 16, 2012

Hot Mess Cookies


I've done quite a lot of attractive baking recently - Baked brownies, Guardian perfect chocolate cake, Jamie Oliver carrot cake with lime mascarpone icing. However, instead of sharing those (because I completely forgot to document them), you are going to get these odd looking but rather excellent car crash cookies. They don't look like much and they have almost no structural integrity but they are surprisingly moreish and addictive and interesting. They are very loosely inspired by Momofuku's compost and cornflake cookies and by the large quantity of stale chocolate cake I had sitting in the fridge.

Let me say, on the chocolate cake front, the Guardian recipe is very chocolate cake-y; it is light sponge but it is packed full of cocoa and melted chocolate and chocolate chips and then there is all the chocolate buttercream and an Oreo crumb (which is genius). I'm not a chocolate cake fan and found the whole thing a bit overwhelming but the boys at work assured me it was great if you liked that kind of thing. Even they couldn't finish it though, hence all the leftover cake I couldn't bear to throw out. The internet is surprisingly unhelpful when it comes to what to do with stale cake - it's all microwave it, put alcohol on it, add custard, blah blah blah... Not convinced. Someone somewhere mentioned putting it in cookies with no recipe or context and I decided to roll with it.

I've never been to Momofuku milk bar or even had one of their cookies so apologies if I am slightly bastardising their philosophy but, from what I've gathered from the internet, they take shit they like and throw it at a cookie and see what happens. That seems like solid reasoning to me so I did the same. The results weren't very presentable but I think they prove that experimenting is good and fun and you can't ruin a cookie just by putting more delicious things in it...

Ingredients

  • 250 g butter (salted)
  • 100 g brown sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tsp salt (table & sea)
  • 100 g plain flour
  • 200 g roughly blitzed chocolate cake
  • 2 cups roughly crushed cornflakes
  • 60 g roughly chopped dark chocolate
  • 2 handfuls roughly chopped marshmellows

Recipe

  1. Preheat the over to 180oC.
  2. Whip butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
  3. Add egg and continue to whip for another 5 mins until glossy.
  4. Fold in all the remaining ingredients. 
  5. Shape out large golfballs of cookie dough and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  6. Cook the well spaced cookies on a lined baking sheet for about 8-10 mins.
  7. Allow to cool completely - this is your best shot of getting them of the baking paper whole!
  8. Eat with cold milk/mug of tea/mulled wine and a plate for tidiness.

If you wanted to improve the cookies stability you could probably start by cutting down the butter but any plans that start with 'cut down the butter' make me sad so I'll leave that up to you. Definitely an interesting way to reinvigorate cake at the least.

Chuck x

7 comments:

  1. heya! pretty sure i read your article in fire & knives the other day - congrats!! p.s. those cookies look amazing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mm, these look amazing. Looks aren't everything! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. god these sound amazing, I'm not too fussed about the prettiness as long as they taste good!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. true, it looks a right mess! i'll take your word for it. cheers on the pat on the back

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look amazing, I bet the tasted awesome while still warm. Hmmm warm cookies!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know you don't think the cookies look good but they look bubbly and chocolatey, which is alright by my book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. as long as they taste good! i hope your holidays are wonderful and full of love!

    ReplyDelete