Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sea Cow



I love manatees. I love this photo. Little girl and enormous manatee gaze at each other curiously. The manatee seems so old and wise and human. I'm not surprised that they're tied up in folklore with mermaids. And I love Snooty. He is the oldest manatee living in captivity - he is 64. 64! He was born in 1948...

I would love to meet a manatee one day, preferably in the wild. Need to start thinking about planning a fantasy trip to the Caribbean sea, the Gulf of Mexico, the Amazon basin or West Africa. Easy.

Chuck x

8 comments:

  1. Aw! Manatees were my favorite animal when I was little!

    That's since switched to sea lions and seals (pinnipeds!) - though I was sadly disappointed in how rude / gross the ones in SF proved to be, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful picture and I love your thoughtful reverie about this manatee's face. Now you have me adding this to my wish list too!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Photo ,love it ♡ :)
    i´m a new Follower

    Lovely Greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so graceful in the water, despite being so large. The picture that you posted above is so cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've seen many in FL on visits. And Atl has this amazing aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great picture, I believe I've never seen a manatee but they're such hilarious creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoa what a photo, i've seen a few manatees in florida. they're quite wonderful and look slightly out of this world. they seems really gentle and playful

    ReplyDelete