Saturday, April 7, 2012

Musical Stylings


Ciara / Dominique Young Unique / Azealia Banks / Rye Rye / Iggy Azalea

I've been going on about streetwear a lot recently. I can't get enough of it. I think there are a bunch of reasons for that but one contributing factor has to be what I'm listening to at the moment. Lots of female rappers with awesome skillz and tough style. I love you Azealia Banks and Dominique Young Unique - you don't take any shit. Your back list and RYEot PowRR mixtape are so good that I can forgive your horrible new Venga Boys single, Rye Rye. I'm not entirely convinced by Iggy Azalea but I'm glad she's doing her thing. Ciara, you're not a rapper but you are scorching hot and you have some of the best moves out there. Seriously, killer. Her core strength and physical power is amazing. Screw being a sample size fashion plate - I want my body to do that. I also want to wear leggings, a crop top, trainers and a cap and pull it off. That's not going to happen but she is definitely reinforcing my cap cravings...

I love how strong these women are, physically and in their opinions and desires. Rye Rye is an awesome dancer too. They're so robust and I mean that in the best possible way. They're not flimsy. There are boobs and hips and muscles. And they know what they want and they can be sexy or angry and demand things. They can swear and blaspheme and rap about sex and I love it. They are perfect to stamp around London too and they make me want to toughen up my style. I want my style to be grittier and more powerful to reflect the music that is pouring out of my headphones and how it is making me feel.

It's so interesting the effect music can have on you. Do you find  that what you are listening to ends up impacting your wardrobe choices? Also, does anyone have any other tough ladies to recommend? I want them all!

Chuck x

6 comments:

  1. amazing post, it's so incredible how music and artists influence our desires and ambitions too. Love that about female rappers and their toughness! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gotta pull up Aaliyah for some old school badassedness. Even though she has been gone for over 10 years, her style is timeless

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree that the music I listen to greatly influences how I dress...and I wouldn't have it any other way. It's like instant inspiration no matter what I do or how I feel. I don't listen to much rap but I definitely appreciate when it's done right (I'm not a big fan of mainstream, commercialized rap).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Showing my age but gotta love a bit of Neneh Cherry - LOVE Buffalo Stance!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love anything in the media that exhibits women being strong!

    ReplyDelete