Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lasting Loveliness

*Title Pun Alert*

As I'm fairly familiar with Florence a lot of time last week was spent revisiting old favourites (hey there, Dave). The Ferragamo Museum was new to me though. Situated below the grand store on the Arno it is a beautiful little museum dedicated to a master craftsman. Salvatore Ferragamo was born in 1898 and was apprenticed to a shoe maker at 11. He moved to America, California, Hollywood. He made the most beautiful shoes for everyone. Everyone, I says. All the films and all the stars. Classic, beautiful shoes that still look perfect. I want to wear them all! It is a lovely little museum and I would suggest popping in if you are in Florence. A brief excursion into foot fantasy.


A whole rainbow of Varas! Even though they're not very 'me' (ha! as if that is a consistent concept) but one day I will own a black pair.


I did say everyone... Ferragamo have the personal lasts for so many icons - Rita Hayworth, Sofia Loren, Marlene Dietrich, Katherine and Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Ava Gardner. It is the best of the Golden Age. Felt a bit weird perving on their feet (so small) but gripping.


The brown court shoes were made for Marilyn in Some like it Hot, the black sandals were for Madonna in Evita and the teal velvet boots were for Brigitte Bardot in something. I just want to wear all of these shoes.


Not Florence (obv). These are my Ferragamo delights c/o ebay. I don't know the era but I love all the Ferragamo details and I think they have a mid-century charm. Unfortunately Ferragamo shoes are cut very narrow and it turns out that they don't really suit my feet. They pinch something vicious so they don't get the wear they deserve. I can't quite face selling them though - they're so pretty. Will just have to get more taxis. As if.

Indulgent shoe prettiness.

Chuck x

3 comments:

  1. The first shot is pure shoe heaven I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have a read of his autobiography, The Shoemaker of Dreams. It's out-of-print but not very much second-hand. Anyway, it's an utterly bonkers but charming read. I bet it's even more fascinating now you've been to the museum. I've never been to Florence... yet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah if I ever make it to Florence I would love to visit this museum! It seems like he really did make shoes for every Hollywood star. They're all so gorgeous! I love Bardot's boots!

    ReplyDelete