Sunday, April 1, 2012

Article Reading Group

Busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy, busy. Hectic. Busy. Many things to do. Good. Tired. Busy. Lots of ideas but no time. No time. Busy. Still managed to read a couple of interesting bits though so hurrah for the belated return of the Article Reading Group. As ever, let me know if you've read anything good lately.


Mia Nolting print - on sale $35

  • Charlotte Raven writing on the Guardian about the lost art of not looking good. She's right, 1970s feminist responses to female beautification are not necessarily relevant or helpful to women today. We need to rethink things. She doesn't really answer any of the questions she raises but they are still worth raising and considering.
  • I bought my Pop a David Sedaris book but I've never read any of his work myself. His very very funny article in the New Yorker about French dentists is making me reconsider. I sniggered unattractively.
  • John Fram's account of living with an HIV positive partner, Odd Blood, for the Atlantic is intimate and moving. It is honest and tragic and optimistic and well worth reading. Probably everyone should read it.
  • I have negative interest in sport but David Foster Wallace's NYT article about Roger Federer is gripping and beautiful. It is Federer-as-religious-experience and it makes tennis sound positively exciting. I think that a book of DFW's essays is coming out sometime and I'll definitely be buying it. His non-fiction is so compelling. I'm slowly working my way through what is available online before I hit up The Pale King.

Chuck x

3 comments:

  1. The Pale King is on my Amazon wish list - do tell me if you end up liking it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've bookmarked this to read properly after work :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get a chance to have a nice relaxing time, too. Thanks for the Guardian article - off to read it now. Have a fab week, sweetheart! xxx

    ReplyDelete