Friday, March 9, 2012

A Night of Bliss

I got home last night to find a parcel on my doormat. It was Emma Thompson's diary from the filming of Sense & Sensibility which I had ordered immediately on hearing of its existence from Hila (knower of all things period drama). I gleefully ripped the package open and plonked down to read the introduction before cracking on with necessary chores. Except I didn't do any of my necessary chores nor did I get up again. I read it cover to cover. Oops! It was delightful though so I can't blame myself.


Things I love: Jane Austen, Sense & Sensibility (the novel), Sense & Sensibility (the Ang Lee film), Emma Thompson, Alan Rickman, being nosy. This little gem - 119 pages of large font and the occasional photo - gives you all those things. I think Emma Thompson is brilliant. She is a wonderful, sensitive actress, she even makes me cry in Love Actually, and she just gets Austen. I think her screenplay is an interesting and thoughtful take on the novel and clearly, from the diary and from interviews, she has a very strong conception of the author. The big JA is alive and well in her mind - mine too. Also, and I wasn't really aware of this, she is a very funny writer. Very dry, very deadpan, she had me giggling throughout the diary. She is also deeply scatological which I particularly enjoyed. We have so much in common, you guys! I just want to go out for a drink with her because she seems like an excellent drinking companion and talk about many things and maybe go dancing.

I love her.

There are some extracts here. If you enjoy those or, you know, Austen/Thompson/S&S/British films/Alan Rickman (dream man) then definitely grab this book. There are lots of super cheap copies around and it is a blissful way to wile away a couple of hours.

Chuck x

7 comments:

  1. I've been wondering about this book ever since Hila mentioned it as well. Glad you got it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just watching Much Ado About Nothing the other day on Netflix :) Also, I have an unhealthy crush on Alan Rickman... Sense & Sensibility is next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when you realize just how much similarities you share with people/celebrities you adore! So cool! Sounds like a wonderful read!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness yes! I've wanted to get my hands on a copy of this book. I can't imagine not loving it to bits.

    Ps. What you say about Alan Rickman must be true. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you bought this, I find it hilarious and I re-read it when I need to escape everything. She's so funny and witty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks amazing! will definitely be purchasing/getting from library asap :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to read this book. She's such a great lady - I totally think we could be friends, too. And I will always get weepy during her monologue in Love Actually. It's just so heartbreaking and lovely.

    ReplyDelete