Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hair


Find out more on the John Frieda Facebook page and win the new range

After I dyed my hair with John Frieda Precision Foam Colour at the beginning of February, the lovely folk who do John Frieda's PR asked me if I wanted to try the new Full Repair range for overworked hair. Now, I don't really (ever) heat style my hair but I do like to dye it so I thought I would give my hair a treat. The range is full of Inchi oil which is from a strange looking South American plant and is full of Omega 6 among other things. It seems to be somewhere between almond oil and olive oil and argan oil. I can't resist oils. Also, I'm not in a position to be turning down free shampoo. [Free toothpaste and other groceries are also welcome here - bring it on!]. I've been using the products for a couple of weeks and *drumroll* I like them. Some of the products aren't for me and the shampoo doesn't live up to the John Frieda Root Awakening shampoo (one of my most favourites - mmm, eucalyptus) but, overall, I like the range. It left my hair soft and shiny and it smells pleasant and clean, shampoo-y, slightly sweet but not nauseating or fruity, and those are really my top priority.

So, I thought this would be a good opportunity to introduce you to my hair-care stash. I know that this is vaguely narcissistic, in the same way that 'What's in my Bag' posts are, but I would be genuinely to interested to hear what products you use and whether you like them/would use them again/have recommended them to anyone. Also, as with my handbag, this just makes me laugh. It certainly exposes my hoarding tendencies...


Left to right:
  • L'Oreal Préférence Conditioning Shampoo: Didn't buy this. Left over from PB dying her hair here. Keep trying to finish this off so it can go in the bin but don't like the feel/effect on my hair. Sure it would be effective if I had a head full of dye but I don't... Feels to extravagant to just throw it out.
  • JF Perfect Ends Sheer Mist: I didn't really like this spray. It doesn't 'mist'; it squirts rather messily. Also, it made my hair feel quite sticky rather than repaired. I can imagine that it would be useful pre-straightening though.
  • Sunsilk Anti-drop Targeting Hairspray: This must be five years old. I have used it maybe three times. It might be a perfectly effective, nay excellent, hairspray but it turns out that I don't use hairspray. Do you? I'm keeping it for when I eventually get round to trying a proper beehive.
  • Dark and Lovely Beautiful Beginnings Kids Softening Oil Moisturiser: Ahaha, so this one was an accident. I was looking for hair oil and this had the word 'oil' in and was very cheap. Yeah, it turns out that black hair products are not compatible with floppy Caucasian hair. I only tried it once and it did very strange things to my hair. It is now used as an emergency shave gel substitute.
  • JF Root Awakening Strength Infusing Shampoo: As discussed, one of my top shampoos. Smells wonderful and leaves your hair feeling lovely and clean. Recommend.
  • JF conditioner from Precision Foam Colour.
  • Pantene Pro-V Classic Shampoo and Conditioner: I'm not a hair snob, I love Pantene and won't here a bad word said against it. I've used it consistently for at least 10 years and it does the job nicely. One of my favourite 'clean' smells and solid results. My only comment, for other Pantene lovers out there, it does make your hair greasy a bit more quickly than some more expensive products (having now tried said posh products).
  • Umberto Giannini Glam Hair Morning After Dry Shampoo: Slightly overwhelming sweet smell but less likely to leave you with white patches than Batiste. Does the job.
  • JF Deep Conditioner: Mmm, love a good conditioner. This is actually quite light and sloppy for a 'deep conditioner' but it is richer than a standard conditioner and left my hair nice and shiny.
  • Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Luscious Long Deep Treatment: Now this is a 'deep treatment'. I love the thick, almost waxy pastiness and the way you need to work it into your hair like a hybrid of Vaseline and candle wax (in a good way). It feels like you're showing you hair a good time. Good smell too. Clearly I favour either 'clean' smells or herbal smells. Fruit and sugar are bad. Recommend.
  • Macadamia Natural Oil Healing Oil Treatment: Ooh, I love this too. It was a prize in a giveaway and it is fab. Again, great smell and perfect texture. I love oil for hair and skin. Just sweep it through wet hair for delicious softness and shine. Recommend.
  • JF Full Body Shampoo and Conditioner: Nice combo. Classic shampoo smell. Did actually leave my hair feeling fuller but at the cost of having to wash it more often.
  • Label.M Curl Spray: Another giveaway prize.I have never ever used since I don't have naturally curly hair or a curling iron. Will probably put it on my next ebay listing (unless anyone fancies it?).
  • Fish Fixer Natural Hold Hairspray: Picked this up as a freebie because I almost never turn down freebies. Never been used because I don't use hairspray (see above). Smells of coconut.
  • JF Root Lift Foam: This stuff is amazing. It is genuinely gravity defying. Even when you are as cackhanded as I am the results are impressive. I decided to try this before work one morning (bad idea) without a hairdryer (bad idea) and it was a striking look - the sections that I had foamed and managed to hastily finger dry towered above the rest of my hair. Ultimately I had to tie it back because it looked too mad but even my ponytail was bouffant! Clearly with spare time and a hairdryer  you could achieve true greatness with this. Recommend.
  • JF Heat Activated Styling Spray: Untested because I have no heat styling apparatus.
Mostly, what I have learned from this is that it is probably time to buy a hairdryer. Ironic really since the range is designed to combat the damages caused by excessive heat styling. I'm clearly not getting the most out of my products though and maybe it is something I need to own as an adult woman. It was certainly annoying not having one when we needed to defrost the freezer a few months ago!

Now, recommendations? What hair-care do you like?And advice - what should I do to my hair to make it better? It should be 'one of my best features' (blah blah blah) and I feel like I'm squandering it.

Chuck x

7 comments:

  1. Holy hell, that's a lot of hair care product. I have been using Kiehl's twice a week and that seems to moisturize my tresses enough. More often than that, it'll start to weigh down and gunk on your hair

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely comment :) great blog xx

    BLOG : unicornboutique.blogspot.com
    SHOP : www.unicornboutique.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was sent this too! It only arrived today so I haven't tested it yet, but means I might have to dig out my hairdryer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you appear to be a John Frieda hoarder, like myself, I would recommend their dry shampoo and there de-frizzing mist! I can't think of their official names off the top of my head but they are both wonderful products!

    Love & Lollies... Jessa

    Confessions of the Cupcake Countessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hair is bleached to death and needs a trim SO badly. I do like the Precision Foam colour even though it is responsible for my rat's nest. I must try that John Frieda Root Lift Foam, I've got the JF volumising spray stuff in the blue bottle and it does nothing for my hair despite everyone raving about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be a hair care hoarder, hard not to when you get so much stuff sent to try, but this summer when I was moving I accidentally threw out a whole garbage bag (a giant one) full of product and the weird thing was I didn't even miss it! I pretty much use the same stuff over and over again--I've been using a lot of Ouidad shampoo and conditioner for everyday and love them.

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. so when can i move in and play with all your products?
    tell me all about your hair texture and desires, and i'll give you the right products.

    ReplyDelete