Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Zen and the Art of Home Hair-Dying

It all started in Camden when I was 13 (as is often the way). Stargazer. 'Lurid Fuchsia'. Cheap plastic gloves. Dying my hair in the garden so I didn't stain the bathroom. I still stained the towels - sorry, Muv. It was addictive. I had only intended to dye the tips (yeah, early 00s grunge kids were way ahead of the fashion curve) but then I put in streaks and then I gave in and dyed the whole thing. And it was awesome and I thought I looked awesome and, even now, I maintain its general awesomeness. I loved having pink hair. It made me feel unimaginably cool. Much to my disappointment it had all washed out within a week. The high and the awareness of the transformative power of hair dye stayed with me though.

Since then I have been highlighter orange, varying shades of brunette and a dark and glorious ginger. The latter was my favourite and the only one I repeated. I kept the henna up for about eighteen months and there were many things I loved about it. I used the amusingly named Lush Caca Rouge Mama henna and it smelt wonderful, during dying and for weeks after, and it left my hair in amazing condition with a bright but (relatively) natural colour. I still have half a block in my bathroom cabinet. BUT I haven't re-dyed my hair in months and months because, geez, it's a hassle. You have to grate it and then mix it up and then it is very runny and it goes everywhere and then I found that I had to leave it to soak in for 2-6 hours while my head was wrapped in clingfilm, which is neither comfortable nor attractive... I just haven't had the time or the energy to deal with that since I graduated. I feel tired just thinking about it.

Unfortunately that left me with some rather odd looking roots. They could have been worse but misc/mousy on ginger is kind of weird, particularly when your hair is up and you have a ginger bun sitting on top of your head! So when the opportunity to do an easy dye came along I thought, why not? Half an hour on a Saturday, bathroom un-ruined, you're done! I used John Frieda Precision Foam Colour and it was crazy easy and not that toxic. Seriously, after henna chemical dyes are such a relief. And my hair is soft and shiny, more so than usual, if slightly less so than post-henna. And so quick, so easy! (Clearly still feeling a bit overwhelmed by the ease of it all).



Admittedly the colour was a bit of a surprise. I wasn't expecting quite such vibrant purple tones from 'Medium Copper Brown'. I like my hair colour to like it at least could be natural (except when it is fuchsia) but, oh well. Lots of people seem to like this kind of colour - it must be quite popular. And purple was my absolute favourite colour aged 2-5 years old. Maybe it will illuminate a new aspect of my wardrobe. Being a brunette makes me want to wear bright and dark pinks, being a ginger makes me want to wear green, who knows what purple will bring? You've really just got to roll with it. That is my top tip for home hair-dying (as well as Vaseline on your ears and along your hairline). It will grow out or fade out and if necessary you can re-dye it but maybe see where it takes you. It might be somewhere unexpected.

Chuck x

15 comments:

  1. I like the color a lot! I think it flatters your complexion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool colour, looks awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic. I can't believe you can get hair like that from an at home foam.

    *Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this colour! I'm going to buy this dye tomorrow when I'm in town - I just did my hair with an auburn one but it washed out so I want a similar colour but with more staying power now that I've established I actually do like it :L
    Much Love
    Roisin Elizabeth
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous colour on you! Nice to see your face properly on the blog. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I had been thinking of using henna to dye my hair sometime but I didn't realise it was such a nightmare! If it's runny does it go everywhere and stain your whole bathroom?

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks great on you! It really makes your eye color pop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My hair is naturally a dark brown that seems black in certain lighting. I've never really been tempted to dye it that much. I think this is just laziness on my part :) It requires an enormous effort for me just to get it cut. But I love your results, you hair looks so shiny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I love it! I've been dying my hair myself since I was about 12 and I was a fan of directionz...I had bright pink tips too (woulda gone all over but I have very dark hair). I want to dye it again but at the same time I'm sort of enjoying my natural colour....

      Delete
  10. That tint look great on you - two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love love love the colour- do you possibly remember the number code for the colour??

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colour is 5C Medium Copper Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heya are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get
    started and set up my own. Do you require any html coding knowledge to make your own blog?
    Any help would be really appreciated!
    Also visit my blog post ; van nelle

    ReplyDelete