Monday, February 6, 2012

Sunday Roses

I wanted to post this yesterday but our internet was busted. It isn't being very reliable at the moment. This irritates me until R starts fondly reminiscing about dial up and I howl and cradle my dysfunctional broadband router. (Kind of). 


Roses - £12.99 reduced to £1.49. The joy! Two inches off the stems and plenty of fresh water and they have perked right up.

Yesterday was simultaneously peaceful and efficient. Sundays are good days. I watched the grey London skies roll by and admired the snow from the warm comfort of a blanket. I also read lots of excellent articles; I've enjoyed both Molly Fischer's piece on ladyblogging and the multiple responses to it, especially The Beheld's; Jill Lepore's brilliant and lengthy New Yorker article on Planned Parenthood (American attitudes to abortion freak me the hell out); Caitlin Flanagan's amazingly open-minded analysis of teenage girls' love of Twilight; Anne Helen Petersen's post on why Channing Tatum is her favourite doofus. Omg, he was a stripper! And there is a video! Who knew!?! Just to, you know, lower the tone a trifle.

Any good articles you can recommend? Ages ago I remember Jo (a cup of) discussing the idea of an articles reading group, like a book group. I don't think it ever got off the ground though which is a pity because I think it sounds like am excellent idea. Fancy it?

In other news, I've finally gone and got a Twitter account. I haven't really got the hang of it yet and I don't know if I'm going to use it for much more than following other people but if you want to help me settle in I can be found here.

Chuck x

15 comments:

  1. Those roses are beautiful! And welcome to the Twitter world x

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to twitter! pretty flowers :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you have the Diane Keaton book! How is it? Does it have the pictures of the scrapbooks her mum used to keep on her (Keaton's) rise to stardom? Saw some of the pics in US Vogue and Keaton's writing was fab too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you read a lot don't you. i don't really, i'm so easily destracted but i am trying. other than blogs and other random (usually short) articles i only ever read on the train. i'm currently reading a short walk in the hindu kush by eric newby, if you're into real life adventure stories then this is for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh and yeah the DM thing, they don't work for everyone's clothes do they, i struggle too

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd join an articles reading group in a heartbeat! I stalk longform.org waiting for new articles to be uploaded. Also, don't know if you have a Kindle, but delivereads.com automatically collate articles and email them to your Kindle, FOR FREE, which is pretty cool. I liked the ladyblogging piece but I have some reservations about it, I think she took some very specific traits belonging to individual websites and generalised about them in a vague way. I liked some of her conclusions though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute!!!

    http://glamourgirl-bg.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those flowers are gorgeous! I love relaxing Sundays. Unfortunately mine have been a bit crazy with studying and fashion week starting up. Can't wait for a day off soon!

    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. i got some pink roses sunday! i'll share them next week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the idea of an articles reading group - you should head it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've just bookmarked all of those links to read later - I'm with you on the terrifying US abortion attitudes. I saw the Cup of Jo article club post too and thought it was a great idea, but it does seem to have fallen by the weighside, which is a real shame, especially as her husband is a Times reporter!

    Unusually, I'm completely out of the loop with article reading at the moment, but I'm currently trying to get back into it, so if I stumble upon any good ones I shall let you know!

    ReplyDelete