Friday, February 10, 2012

New Love: Will Davidson

Sometimes it is wonderful to be the last person to know about something. Yes, it is great to watch an artist/musician/trend grow from the very beginning - to latch onto something tiny and shiny and new and gather fresh fragments of awesome as they develop over the months and years. You can nurture and support them and that is brilliant and special and I love it. But you know what is also great? Stumbling across someone with an existing body of work! They’ve developed their style and their style is amazing and there is plenty of it. Oh, the greedy greedy pleasure…

That is basically how I feel about Will Davidson, a (fashion) photographer who I have only just become aware of. He has worked a lot for Oyster and Russh, as well as Muse and Harper’s and Dazed. I don’t know how I missed him but I did and now I get to trawl back through all of his past work and, let me tell you, it is some good shit.



Muse Magazine, Winter11
Model: Lindsey Wixson
Photographer: Will Davidson
Styling: Sara Moonves
Hair: Shay Ashual / Makeup: Pep Gay
See more here.

Seriously, his portraits… Crazy beautiful. 



Oyster, #96
Model: Daisy Lowe
Photographer: Will Davidson
Styling: Stevie Dance
Hair: Chi Wong / Makeup: Hiromi Ueda
See more here.

Things I Love: i) He works with great people - Daisy, Lindsey, Stevie, Jessica. Maybe he had nothing to do with that but I think it reflects well.


Things I Love: ii) He seems to have a tonal eye. Does that make any sense? To me it is something more complex and subtle than just an ability to use ‘colour’. The tones in these pictures are just perfect.


Harper’s Bazaar Au, March12
Model: Marloes Horst
Photographer: Will Davidson
Styling: Jillian Davison
Hair: Alan White / Makeup: Kellie Stratton
See more here.

Things I Love: iii) How he so beautifully captures movement and the physicality of bodies.


Dazed & Confused, Feb11
Models: Ming Xi & Hyoni Kang
Photographer: Will Davidson
Styling: Joanna Sclenzka
See more here.

Yeah, I've run out of constructive things to say, I just couldn't not post these pictures.



Russh, #39
Model: Jessica Stam
Photographer: Will Davidson
Styling: Stevie Dance
See more here.


Things I do not Love: His bio. Yes, I want to know that he was David Bailey's right hand man for five years. No, I don't want to know that Bailey was wowed by 'his talent, youthful good looks and charm'. It makes him sound heinous. Similarly I don't want to be told 'Davidson’s oeuvre now finds itself in a peerless state' even if I might agree. Yuck.

But otherwise, beautiful, perfect, heavenly. Off to do some more archive rummaging now.

Chuck x

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your discovery - those are some amazing photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture from Dazed looks a bit like softened Roversi... I think it's my favourite here, although I adore the Harper's editorial (have it saved in my files, too). Funnily enough I posted about my discovery today, too. It feels so wonderful to learn new things, it's like adding new colours to a rainbow. :)
    Wishing you a lovely evening and wonderful weekend!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eek, I'm not a fan of that bio either! But yes, I am a fan of the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya,Im 13 and I draw fashion designs,wanna see it?And those photos!I love the first with Lindsay Wixson,its so dreamyy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those photos of Daisy Lowe!! Man, he's good (and don't worry, I've only recently come across him too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah those cringeworthy bits don't help at all do they, lovely looking stuff though. you find some cracking photographer

    ReplyDelete
  7. These photos are stunning! They are so creative and the models look so stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing photos! Wow!

    http://maryfashionlove.blogspot.com/
    Mary
    xx

    ReplyDelete