Friday, February 24, 2012

Article Reading Group


Robert Doisneau
Drapé de Grès, Paris, 1955

I've read some excellent things since our  first (kind of) meeting. What about y'all? Let's compare notes.
  • Sasha Pasulka on Why She's Not Okay with Chris Brown Performing at the Grammys. There is, rightfully, a lot anger flying around the internet about the whole Chris Brown situation and this is one of the best pieces I've read. Very coherent.
  • Maria Bustillos's awesome article on Romance Novels, the Last Great Bastion of Underground Writing. It takes me right back to my wasted teen years. It also reminds me of the amazing 2 hr BBC4/More4 documentary on Mills & Boon that was on British TV a year or two ago. Did anyone see it? SO good.
  • A strange and gripping article from the New York Times by Charles Duhigg on How Companies Learn Our Secrets. All about marketing and maths and privacy. Possibly that sounds boring but it is not. Supermarkets can tell from a sample of 25 items whether you are pregnant and what trimester you're in. That is some crazy shit! Also, some interesting and useful things about the human mind and habit formation.
  • I think I might have read David Foster Wallace's 2004 Gourmet article, Consider the Lobster, before but it deserves to be read again, possibly yearly. I have to admit that I've never read a DFW book but every piece of journalism I've come across has been brilliant. This one is funny and perfect and thoughtful and haunting. It won't leave me alone. Everyone should read it.
  • Jack Stuef's article on being The World's Worst Sperm Donor made me laugh. A lot.  He makes Millenial revenge by sperm donation seem like a perfectly reasonable choice although that may say just as much about me and my resentment as it does about him. Admittedly, this might not be one to read if you are currently trying to conceive through sperm donation (good luck to you)...
Here's to the weekend and trying (and possibly failing) to be efficient.

Chuck x

10 comments:

  1. Bookmarked to read later; you find the best things x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto, I'm reading this tonight :) By the by got the new Oh Comely in Magma in Covent Garden, think it's only in WHSmiths next week.. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for supplying me with a reading list for weekend.

    Wishing you a great one!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok some of the descriptions of these articles are fraking me out. I gotta read them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that dress! Its a really beautiful photo... love the form!!

    Btw thank you kindly for visiting my blog... it gives me inspiration to blog just knowing that people are checking it out occasionally : )

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh and that's awesome your'e reading Mansfield Park! I admire anyone who can read a Jane Austen novel! I am embarking on reading all of them (in the order in which she wrote them) by the end of the year. They're not too long, but I have to get the patience to read each sentence very carefully!

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely for u to do this!! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete