Saturday, December 3, 2011

Recent Eats


I've been really enjoying the Pieminister cook book of late. Admittedly, I do love Pieminister in a big way. I sadly miss testing all their different flavours and licking their enamel plates in the original Stokes Croft shop... Personal bias aside, it is a lovely book and I would definitely recommend it (and I say this as a person with a lot of cook books, many of them mediocre). So far I have made the cheese, mushroom and potato pie (top left) and the Fantaffy pie (bottom right) and both have been excellent. I even made the pastry for the Fantaffy pie which is full of delicious things like leeks and toasted hazelnuts and Caerphilly. A top notch vegetarian pie if anyone is looking for exciting veggie options for the festive season.

Also of note, R made Julia Child's legendary beef bourguignon and it was amazing. It blew our socks off. I Heart Julia. This is a powerful ol' stew and it is a lot of work but it is totally awesome and exactly what you need on a cold winter night. Served with rather nontraditional but delicious rosemary wedges and garlic kale. YUM. Casual food-wise I have re-made similar red wine and tomato pasta sauces a bunch of times in the last few weeks. I don't follow a recipe and I have a rubbish memory so I couldn't say exactly what is in them, they probably differ slightly each time, but they are bang on. They consistently involve bog standard tomato sauce ingredients plus fresh cherry tomatoes/sundried tomatoes + generous amounts of red wine and lots of reduction time. It makes for an intensely rich and tomato-y sauce that is powerful enough to be eaten without cheese, which is good because I keep forgetting to buy any Parmesan...

Anyway. Any good eats of late?

Chuck x

7 comments:

  1. Your food always looks amazing! My best eat lately has probably been warm homemade gingerbread. Nothing beats it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum yum yum. These posts of yours really make me hungry. And put me to shame as I have several cookbooks languishing in my cupboard... xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum, yum, yum and yum! I can't look at those photos too long as my stomach is rumbling already - but pieminister oh my goodness! I need that book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Flatmate made Fantaffy last week - it was uber delish, in fact we had it cold for lunch the next day. Having more pie tonight and... wait for it Applesauce cake - I can already hear you drooling. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just broke in my dutch oven tonight with braised beef shortribs. The beef bourginon is next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum stuff, i dunno, i just can't seem to find the time or have the right stuff in to make the stuff i want to.

    ReplyDelete