Friday, November 11, 2011

Struggling to Explain Irony

Isn't it excellent when, among all your many many repetitive promotional emails, you see something that actually makes you grin? The Net-a-Porter exclusive holiday jumper collection did that to me. I'm sure many of you got it too but I couldn't resist whacking it up here. I mean, look at all that crazily expensive, totally amazing, ugly crap!


The boyf came home the other day completely baffled. He had seen a guy in a reindeer sweater. He didn't get it. Levels of bafflement increased exponentially though when I tried to explain that ugly Christmas jumpers were actually so hot right now. He couldn't wrap his head around it at all. I don't blame him - fashion is so weird sometimes. Case in point:

  • A brilliant contemporary designer has made an ugly jumper.
  • That ugly jumper costs a mind bending £1040.
  • I want that jumper for it is amazing.
Where is the logic in that? This is such a great festive promotion though. I love it and I want to embrace it in all its snuggly, cuddly, ugly glory. Good stuff.

Chuck x

14 comments:

  1. Ah I love it, they're so darn ugly. the weird snowman, urgh especially the last two! So yuk, so good. Best option to check out charity shops for the unironic real deal though! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Part of me feels like you could knit it yourself for a fraction of a price. But maybe that's just idea stealing. They are amazing, but how on earth can they cost THAT much? I haven't looked at what they're made of but still... talk about paying for a label.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowman jumper is HILARIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh now they have to re-write Bridget Jones, the "raindeer jumper moment", remove the irony and inject the "wow, you look so fashionable" instead... :D
    Loved the way you wrote about it so much. I experienced the same feeling yesterday while browsing scarves... Stella McCartney for just under £400... No pattern, the most basic stitch and quite short... the wool to make it costs around £15... It must be made by Christmas fairies or something...
    Got to love fashion! :D

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one of those times when i'm happy i'm not a fashion victim... yikes!

    have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the Christmas jumpers, but this is what charity shops are MADE for! £1000?! Ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are such fun! Unfortunately where I live you will never find us wearing jumpers at Christmas - too darn hot!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like this...especially the philip lim one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! I am loving this selection, possibly the scary snowman moschino jumper is my fave.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, this post is hilarious and so true :) I'm bringing my ugly christmas sweater to my dorm with me. (It has three, count it, three snowmen on it!) I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh I wish I could afford the Moschino number - such a classic Christmas design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this, you inspired me to write my own post on novelty knitwear. Truly it is a thing of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your list is perfection, I want every single item you covet for, especially that Moschino cardigan, they would all be an amazing addition to any wardrobe. Your blog is lovely and I'm a new follower! Hope you'll like my blog and follow back!

    Pop Culture&Fashion Magic

    ReplyDelete