Saturday, November 5, 2011

Love, Cake and Heston

I have always enjoyed Heston Blumenthal's flights of fancy on the tellybox. Sometimes they look delicious, mostly they look bizarre but they always look intriguing. Now, though, he has gained my love! Or rather the solicitous staff at his new restaurant Dinner have gained my love. They are so delightful... Vaguely intimidating, sure, but delightful. R and I went to Dinner at the Mandarin Oriental yesterday for our anniversary and they wow-ed us. For an extra special occasion we treated ourselves to the set price lunch, which is just about affordable, and spent a few hours enjoying the park side view and eating lovely food. I had a lemon and goat's curd salad, ham hock with the most delicious cabbage and popcorn crackling and caramel coated, light-as-air, raspberry and coconut cake with raspberry and coconut sorbet. Nothing scandalous, simply excellent. Deliciousness levels climbed throughout the meal - the starter (imo) was a bit hit and miss but the pudding was sublime. I couldn't stop oohing and aahing at it. I managed to make it last about half an hour.

And then, after pudding, look what we were presented with...


Earl-grey infused chocolate fondant with a carraway biscuit

AWW!! The maitre d' also congratulated us on our anniversary. So sweet. This is all because one of the waiters, when accompanying me to the loo (weird, right? or is that just me?), was making small talk about whether we were here for an occasion and I casually mentioned our anniversary. Ah, the attention to detail. It melts my heart! I'm fairly sure I blushed. It is these little things that really make a meal. It was so adorable. We had a fab time although that could have been the excellent company...


Have a great Bonfire Night.

Chuck x

10 comments:

  1. Oh happy anniversary!!! I like Heston very much, too, but have never been to his restaurants. Glad you had a great time and that final touch is totally heart-melting. :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza, that is proper lovely of the staff there! I really want to go to the Mandarin Oriental! The food sounds lush :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, what a fantastic example of customer service! How wonderful for you that they took the time to make it extra special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a lovely Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they wrote on your plate with food! I get intimidated by super fancy things, but it sounds like a great place, which is all that matters. That, and one day being super rich and eating like that everyday.;) Happy anniversary, you guys! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so sweet of them,Happy Anniversary, hope you had the best day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. yummm!

    thanks for your lovely comment.xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! Am jealous, think the closest I am going to get to any of Heston's food any time soon is his Waitrose Christmas pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary :) I just looked that set menu up, that's SUCH a good price!!

    ReplyDelete