Thursday, October 27, 2011

Recent Eats

The pearl barley + good stuff is actually a loose variation one of Joy's recipes for farro salad. Farro is sadly not so supermarket available but pearl barley is one of my favourite things so I wacked it in there. Also, my new favourite thing to do with pearl barley is to cook a bunch of it and pop it in some tupperware in the fridge for whenever I need it. I Heart Easy Fridge Food. The above is quick and comforting and sweet and carby and relatively healthy - just what I need when I'm eating alone.

The most delicious thing in this post is the least appetising looking though. The mega awesome leftovers tagine was frickin' awesome. I haven't given up meat completely yet - my new stance is that when I eat it I will eat it as respectfully as possible. We bought the best quality/welfare lamb joint we could afford for Sunday lunch with friends (which was totally delicious, thanks Chef R) and relished it and then maximised the leftovers. I don't like cold, leftover lamb but smother it in spice and stew it for a few hours and it is excellent. The lamb fed six on Sunday and then with a lot of padding out (hey there chickpeas and sweet potatoes) the tagine did four more servings.  And every single meal that bit of lamb made was scrumptious. In my books that is respect. Thanks lambikin.

I made up the recipe from an amalgam of about eight internet sources and my personal inclinations and it was so good that I wrote it down to share with y'awl. Notes - every tagine recipe I read is all like blah blah blah apricots but I'm not crazy about big ole chunks of fruit in my savory food so I substituted sweet potato for sweetness. If are a fruit/meat pervert then knock yourself out but maybe scale back to standard potatoes.

Ingredients:

  • 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped finely
  • 1-2 onions, chopped finely
  • 1 thumb (the weird standard measurement) of ginger, grated
  • Coriander seeds
  • Cumin seeds
  • Cinnamon
  • Turmeric
  • Paprika
  • Harissa
  • Honey
  • 1 generous squirt tomato puree
  • 1 can tinned tomatoes (400g)
  • 1 can chickpeas (400g), drained
  • 2-3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into medium sized pieces
  • Roasted lamb shoulder, cut into bite size chunks
I don't think this recipe is particularly pedantic - spice it however you fancy with any appropriate spices you can get your grubby little mitts on.

Recipe:
  1. Heat some oil in a large saucepan or cassoulet and cook the onion, garlic, ginger and spices until soft.
  2. Add the lamb, potato, tomato, puree and honey.
  3. Stew for a while, say an hour and a half. If it is looking thin then you can take the lid off for a while but otherwise leave it to do its bidnez.
  4. Stir in the chickpeas a couple of minutes before serving.
  5. Bam! Sweet, sticky, spicy tagine with lots of melty lamb and chickpea goodness.
This was one of those times where winging it worked - yey for those times!

What good things have you eaten recently? Do you have a favourite leftovers recipe? I'm always intrigued to hear new ones although I have a substantial pile of cookbooks to browse through at the moment... Weekend bliss here I come.

Chuck x

4 comments:

  1. that thai noodle soup looks delicious!xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this all looks amazing! I had a great prawn kare lomen at Miso noodly bar plus discovered Ramen Seto recently. It's a great Japanese place near Carnaby St, reasonably priced too. Should have taken pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummm this all looks amazing. Recently I made spinach omelettes from the Ottolenghi Plenty cookbook which were delish and tonight I made a kale/egg dish which was featured on Lola is Beauty. Seems I have a thing for eggs and green vegetables at the moment. Could really go some Thai though after seeing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmm I'm going to be making me some thai noodle soup very soon.

    ReplyDelete