Saturday, September 24, 2011

Ice Cream Dream


Blackberry + White Peach and Lavender / Gianduia + Pistachio 
Bellini + Raspberry & Sage + Chocolate Truffle / Whiskey + Basil Liqueur
Caramel + Valrhona Chocolate / White Chocolate and Basil + Yellow Plum + Chocolate
Mango + Peach and Pine Nuts

Oh yes. We know how to enjoy ourselves. Perfect weather, copious amounts of pizza, obscene amounts of ice cream. I always find city breaks a bit stressful (particularly when your pre-booked and part paid for accommodation falls through and certain butt heads leave you high and dry and homeless - grrr...) but this was a joy. My head is buzzing with ice cream ideas - so many wonderful flavours, such interesting combinations, oh the smooth and cold and creamy deliciousness of it all! I'm dying to go home home and abuse my Madre's cruddy old ice cream maker and try to recreate one of these. I couldn't possibly pick favourites but top of my to make list are bellini, Valrhona chocolate and peach and pine nuts. Jaw-droppingly good.

If you are going to Rome please bookmark these places:
  • Gelateria del Teatro - for brilliant, inspired and slightly dotty flavour combinations.
  • Ciampini - for impeccably smooth, creamy textures and heavenly fruit ice creams (not sorbets).
  • Il Gelato di San Crispino - for small but perfectly formed ice creams and impeccable quality of ingredients.
Also, check this out...


Pizzarium - not to be missed. My mouth is watering just remembering it.

I mourn the loss of Italian fast food already. 

Chuck x

3 comments:

  1. 10:30am is not too early for ice cream right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had a lovely time with all the delicious food and also a tad jealous even though I consumed my own weight in feta and calamari nothing really compares to the joy of ice cream. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I've died and gone to food heaven!

    ReplyDelete