Monday, August 1, 2011

From the Sublime to the Ridiculous


Well, two very different kinds of sublime rather...

I caught the Glamour of the Gods exhibition of Hollywood portraiture at the National Portrait Gallery on Saturday and played with the pigs at the Mudchute City Farm on Sunday. Variety is the spice of life. I loved the photographs and would highly recommend them. I have heard criticism about the pop-up stand in the middle of the exhibition but I was so absorbed by the pictures that I didn't even notice it. I found the collection of photos completely hypnotic - such beautiful people and settings and clothes and composition and prints... So many familiar faces in new lights. I don't claim to be an expert on either old cinema or photography but I do really enjoy both given the opportunity. I tumbled out of the exhibition woozy with nostalgia and wanting nothing more than to curl up with a glamorous cocktail/cup of tea and a stack of MGM classics. It also made me want to re-read the Scandals of Classic Hollywood columns on the Hairpin. They're excellent, gripping and truly juicy, if you have the time to read something fairly substantial (for the internet). The recent Elizabeth Taylor column was particularly good, revealing lots of things I didn't know - Angelina is such a pale imitation! Taylor appears in some beautiful photos in the exhibition and I felt quite connected to her. I know nostalgia can be fraught with political snares but if you are willing to temporarily overlook that in favour of knock out beauty and romance then get thee to the NPG. Delightful.

The farm was delightful too, in a slightly grubbier way. I didn't catch this fine gentleman's name but the Tamworth was called Molly. I did worry about her getting sunburnt in the gloriously hot weather. We romped around and played with the goats and cuddled the sheep and generally enjoyed ourselves. It wasn't quite like home but it was a hilarious touchstone. Also, definitely worth it for the incongruous sight of cows wandering about in the shadow of Canary Wharf.

Any plans for this week?

Chuck x

5 comments:

  1. I've just come back from London and I kept seeing posters for this exhibition on the tube I wish I had gone! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm going to this at the weekend, good to hear a positive review. how can it go wrong, the idea is pure indulgence! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great contrast, that city farm looks like fun. The exhibition sounds like it's well worth a visit too. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post to read! And the pictures made me smile, that little miss Piggy is so adorable! x

    ReplyDelete