Sunday, July 10, 2011

Swedish Visiting Cake

Hurrah for quick, easy, delicious cake. Yes, triple layered beauties are fun but sometimes easy wins. My sister got back from five months away and we had a mini tea party in her honour. I didn't want to spend hours away from her in the kitchen so I knocked out Dorie Greenspan's crazy easy Swedish Visiting Cake. Sweet, sticky, lemon and almonds, goodness. Almost no effort but perfect warm out of the oven. Lovely with lots of raspberries on a summer day.


I tweaked the recipe a little and I think it worked really well. I substituted the almond extract and some of the flour for ground almonds. I think this made for a less overpowering almond flavour (which works for me) and a slightly denser cake. The raspberries also added a nice sharpness. I think raspberries improve pretty much everything though so maybe I am biased.


Ingredients:

  • 1 cup sugar - I used golden caster.
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup plain flour, 1/4 cup ground almonds.
  • 1 stick/115g butter, melted - I used salted.
  • Flaked almonds - I'm not sure how much I used 50-100g perhaps? Be quite generous.
Recipe:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180oC and liberally butter your tin/pan/skillet. It does look lovely cooked in a skillet a la Dorie but I opted for a 9 inch tart tin for easy removal.
  2. Rub the sugar and lemon zest together in a medium bowl. Use your fingers - it smells amazing!
  3. Whisk in the eggs one at a time. Whisk in the salt and vanilla extract.
  4. Fold in the flour and ground almonds. Fold in the melted butter.
  5. Pour the batter into your tin. Scatter the flaked almonds on top. Put some more on. Scatter generously with golden sugar.
  6. Bake for 25-30 mins, until golden. Crisp on the outside and moist in the middle.
  7. Serve warm with raspberries and potentially some Greek yoghurt.
Delightful. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Chuck x

3 comments:

  1. Oh yum. Greek yoghurt would make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, I love almonds so this is right up my street. Also loving your crockery x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious. Will definitely be trying it! x

    ReplyDelete