Sunday, June 26, 2011

Mishaps

It has been a rough week. Obviously in response to this I have baked. Some things have worked (flapjacks), somethings have not (today's cream puffs - below). It was my first attempt at choux and it faaaaailed. They looked beautiful when they came out of the oven but then they instantly sunk down to choux pancakes and I couldn't get thcrème pâtissière inside so I had to put it on top... Sad times. Does anyone know how you can avoid the post oven slump?


In case you were interested, my choux slump and pastry cream recipes where from Martha Stewart Weddings. I suspect that I can't blame the recipe. I suspect it was me. It is always rubbish when you can't blame someone else for your failures. Lesson of the week - sometimes life is shit and there is nothing you can do about it and you just have to try and keep going.

I might try cream puffs again another time.

Chuck x

8 comments:

  1. Awww! They still look yummy, do they taste good? Should you have left them in a little longer maybe? :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look beautiful and yummy still.. I'm pretty rubbish at fiddly baking personally.. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never attempted choux pastry...the whole process kind if baffles me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear you're having a shit week. Sometimes the little things (like choux buns deflating) can be the worst things. Try and keep going is excellent advice.
    A good plan b is to sit in front of the telly watching comedy and chomping on comfort food (in my case it's 'Allo 'Allo and fish pie with a pile of melted cheese and crispy breadcrumbs on top). Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Still look pretty yum to me! I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough week - keep your chin up and it'll get better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think they look good!! Hope you're ok, I'm having one of those weeks too x

    ReplyDelete
  7. they still look ridiculously tasty though, i hope they were! i've got so many baking plans this summer, really need to get a start on them x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although deflated, they still look really tasty so kudos for trying :) Sorry to hear you've been having a crappy time, I totally empathise and can see how cathartic baking is! That and a bit of retail therapy if you have some spare cash xxx

    ReplyDelete