Monday, April 25, 2011

Deep Céline Inspired Thoughts



$95.90 vs. $3000+

I'm not looking to buy a handbag at the moment but I stumbled across the one on the left and it made me think:

- I love the Céline original, I think it is a beautiful bag, I think it looks amazing on pretty much everyone who carries it.

- However, I cannot afford it. I cannot even nearly afford it. I can't, at the moment, imagine ever being able to afford it. The original is never going to happen for me.

- What do I love about the original? I assumed it was the design, I think it is beautiful after all, but if that was it I should love the ebay version just as much. It is an almost exact replica. It is real leather. The only notable difference is the absence of a tiny bit of gold lettering which is hardly the key design feature.

- And yet... I don't love it as much. I still like it but the passion has gone.

- Why?

- Do I actually desire the Céline for the prestige? The label? The kudos? The status symbol?

- It seems ridiculous to scorn a bag I can afford (approximately) in a design I admittedly love for these reasons.

- I feel shallow.

What are your thoughts? I wouldn't be taking business away from Céline if I bought the replica because I could never afford the original... I'm sure there is a difference in quality but the ebay version looks like reasonably good quality for the price (£20 cheaper than the average Topshop leather handbag) and, again, I'm never going to be able to afford the original, no matter how great the quality is. Am I being a snob or should I be proudly wallowing in my own integrity? I'm fairly sure it's not the latter...

Am I thinking too much about handbags and not enough about binary models of gender? Undoubtedly yes!

Chuck x

10 comments:

  1. The thing is, you're right - the one on the left just isn't as nice! Godammit I guess you can tell when something costs more...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I end up feeling the same about Mulberry fakes, somehow they just don't quite match up, even though you can get decent replicas out there. I have to say this Ebay one does look practically similar, maybe the zip also looks a bit "cheaper"? hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty ambivalent about knockoffs and imitations. It's great to invest in a quality bag that you'll have for ages but - three thousand dollars? That's a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean, but there's me walking around with my fake Mulberry! Unfortunately designers are just ridiculously and unnecessarily overpriced.

    justa-thought.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, it's such a debate! I personally don't think there's anything wrong with buying a 'fake' if you love the design and bag itself, rather than the label. I'm not a label person at all but the bag is definitely gorgeous,

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. whoa the shape is such a big killer piece. bangkok is so full of fake though. i guess some people enjoy to splurge than buying the big prices. however, i'm not at an afforable stage but i don't really use fake items either.

    ANDWHATELSEISTHERE

    SHOP

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you're being a snob! Status symbols are their own weird entity that not even the biggest intellectual can comprehend! Maybe hold out for another bag altogether, some mystery bag that you'll stumble upon and fall in love with:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, theyre both awesome. I understand, I'm a student and can't afford half the things I'm coveting (okay more than half).
    Love your blog, definitely a new follower!
    Have a great day!
    -Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree, but I think as long as you're upfront about the fact it's a fake, I think you can just about get away with it.
    (btw does anyone else think the bag looks a little like a penguin's face?)

    ReplyDelete