Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Wes Anderson's The Royal Tenenbaums

I'm not a Wes Anderson obsessive, I've only seen Fantastic Mr Fox and The Darjeeling Limited but I really enjoyed them both and he always seems to look natty. The Royal Tenenbaums has been on my To Watch list for ages partially because of this gentle appreciation of Anderson and partially because the pictures of it that are frequently referenced on t'internet are fairly universally fab. I hadn't watched it yet because somehow I rarely find myself in the right frame of mind for low key quirky independent films - I'm normally knackered whenever I end up sitting down to watch a film and I assume the aforementioned will be too taxing for my worn out brain. This is obviously rubbish for the most part so when I was (partially) forced to watch it at the weekend I was actually quite pleased - decision out of my hands!

And guess what, I really liked it! Things happen and everything. This one of my main worries with 'independent films', that I'm going to end up wasting ninety minutes of my life watching a French layabout pick his nose. This has happened, it is not an entirely unfounded worry although obviously it is a gross generalisation. I'm sure lots of you have seen it but I thought I would share my pleasure and some stills anyway...


As a book lover I had to enjoy the book montages that recurr throughout - surreal but excellent.


Margot's 'look' is as amazing as the internet would have you believe. Child Margot is the best though - she has attitude! Love the way that she wears her childhood clothes as an adult, not a look that would work for me (going to pass on adult sized Gap Kids hoodies) but great on her.


And, to my surprise, I really liked Gwyneth Paltrow in this. I'm not normally a big fan (excepting Sliding Doors and Shakespeare in Love off the top of my head) but her Margot is brilliantly dead eyed and secretive and wrapped in the ubiquitous fur coat with matching fur belt...


Also of note, the menswear is amazing although I didn't get any stills and I LOVED the interiors that were goin' down. I want more pink walls and portraiture and pastel bathrooms and boars heads and maps in my home...

Check it out if you haven't seen it or re-watch it if you have. Charming, funny and visually luscious.

Chuck x

5 comments:

  1. Tennenbaum family is an amazing film !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch this again, think I was distracted he first time. Definitely want to give it another chance!
    The Horace tee has yearbook pictures and yes I know Ohio was a very random place for an interview, a long story goes along with it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is lovely.
    Yearbook pictures are such a good idea (so glad I never kept mine but I'm totally happy to laugh at other people's...). x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Chuck, I loved it too. I haven't seen it since it came out. My memory's so bad I have recorded it again and I know I'll enjoy it just as much xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my absolute favourite film! You know that Wes actually bought a big house in NY and shot every scene in there - the sets/colour scheme/soundtrack are just amazing!

    And I tweeted that exact same thing about Paltrow as Margot - how can she be so good here and so awful elsewhere?

    Love your name by the way..

    ReplyDelete