Wednesday, March 2, 2011

One Bowl Baking - Polenta Shortbread

+ One cake tin.

I've decided to implement a potentially regular 'lazy baking' feature. I love to bake crazy, complicated, visually appealing things that require 97 different pieces of kitchen equipment as much as the next person but sometimes I just feel laaaaaaazy but I still want a fresh, sweet, easy baked hit. So, here I'm going to focus on things that are simple and, more importantly, require minimal washing up because I'm a big baby and I hate washing up. I understand that it is a necessary part of cooking but I don't have to like it!

First up, polenta shortbread. I love shortbread, mostly because of all the delicious butter... mmm... butter. It requires pretty much no ingredients, it is a piece of piss to make and it is totally sweet and satisfying. Underrated, in my opinion. I added the polenta because we had some (how my baking often works!), because I'm a big fan of it and because some recipes recommend semolina for a bit of bite and I didn't have any. You can definitely feel the chewiness of the polenta in the shortbread and I liked that but if you don't like polenta this may not be for you.

Ingredients:
  • 6oz/175g butter
  • 3oz/75g sugar - golden caster if you've got it. I made a sugar mixture of white caster, demerara and muscavado which added a nice depth of flavour.
  • 6oz/175g plain flour
  • 3oz/75g polenta
That is it!

Recipe:
  1. Preheat your oven to 150oC. Grease your cake tin.
  2. Put all your ingredients in your one bowl and combine with an implement of your choice, a spoon is fine. Work into a smooth mixture that you can pick up easily.
  3. Dump said mixture into your greased cake tin. Push into the tin and flatten evenly.
  4. Prick all over with a fork to stop rising.
  5. Bake for about 60 mins - until nice and gold and firm in the middle.
  6. Do leave it (irresistable as it will smell) to cool a bit or it can be tricky to get out of the tin neatly. Sprinkle liberally with caster sugar and eat with a bucket of tea while still warm.
Done! Done and yum. How do I love thee warm shortbread? Let me count the ways... Casually bastardising E.b.b there but all is fair in love and baking.

Chuck x

6 comments:

  1. I used to make shortbread a lot, but had to stop because it was so delicious warm that I would eat half the tray at one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, eat half the shortbread with a spoon, then the other half in soldiers with a cup of strong builders tea - I hadn't thought of using polenta before, but I shall definitely try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Easy baking-- two magic words that will get my attention instantly! :) haha! I WILL be trying this soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm. Yes. Must try this with polenta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh I'm a huge fan of polenta shortbread! And it's a doddle to make which decreases cooking time and hastens eating time! hehe jazzy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. where do you get your polenta? it can be so expensive! the last time i used some it didn't work out so well, took ages to cook and was quite tough when it was cooled :( this looks so good too

    ReplyDelete