Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Feminist Icon: The Female Eunuch

Ok, I'm referring to The Female Eunuch, rather than Germaine Greer herself, as My Feminist Icon because, sadly, I don't really have any positive associations with Germaine. Clearly she was amazing in her youth but, given my youth, I missed that and I have only seen her looking like an idiot on Big Brother and the like. The Female Eunuch though, it changed my life (in a way). Certainly it politicised my burgeoning, youthful feminism. I read it when I was fifteen [Note to self - must re-read] and it opened up a whole new world to me. Obviously I had been aware of suffragettes and bra burning and pay discrepancies and I knew I was a feminist but it exploded the potential of feminism. It forced me to re-consider the way that society is fundamentally patriarchal. And it is shockingly relevant to us now. Second wave feminism achieved amazing things but we are still such a long way from anything resembling gender equality, it's crazy.


Going to keep this brief and just say that this is an incredible, powerful book that has really inspired me. I might not agree with everything in it (still don't think I need to eat my own period blood to truly accept my femininity and my female body) but it did change the way I view the world. If you haven't read it I would really recommend it - it is very readable, accessible and enjoyable, as well as politically stimulating.

Thanks, book.

Chuck x

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read this yet. My feminist epiphany book was Fear of Flying - an excellent read. Must check The Female Eunuch out of the Library asap, it sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, never read any Erica Jong. Will have to get on that!

    ReplyDelete