Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mixtape 4 - We Are All Folk

Decided to go with a genre instead of a theme this month. Interestingly, it is my first time with The Mixtape Project where I have had a complete taste clash with my partner. I received a CD of 'Math Rock' which is, and I quote Wikipedia, "a rhythmically complex, guitar-based style of experimental rock that emerged in the 1980s. It is characterized by complex, atypical rhythmic structures (including irregular stopping and starting), angular melodies, and dissonant chords". I like to think I have quite an open mind about music but clearly I am actually just an old granny because I found 'math rock' simply BAD NOISE. It left me completely cold. As I imagine my folk music will leave him! You win some, you lose some.

This is pretty much just my 'Most Played' on iTunes. A lot of my favourites, none of it particularly new but all of it particularly lovely. I had big plans for the cover but I ended up being late and having to rush it, hence it looking crap...



If you like folksy stuff and you haven't listened to First Aid Kit or Mountain Man you really should - two of my favourite lady bands. I also had a thought... I always like finding a) new music and b) post and so, I presume, do many of you. If you have taken a burning fancy to any of my mixtapes (check them all out here) let me know and I will try and send a couple out.

Chuck x

P. S. Rest in Peace Elizabeth Taylor. So many beautiful tributes all over the interwebz.

P. P. S. Happy Birthday Stinker!

2 comments:

  1. I went to a folk festival once, full of aging hippies. It was utterly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I will have to check out these songs/artists! I love the DIY album cover! Amazing!

    I have to agree with you on your comment to the ads in my last post. Those quotes are totally not necessary in selling the ads, the clothes speak for themselves!! Good observation ;)

    ReplyDelete