Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sublime Stitching

So it turns out it totally isn't too late to be receiving or giving Christmas presents! B just gave me a Sublime Stitching ('This ain't your gramma's embroidery') giftcard which I am super excited about. As you might know, Sublime Stitching was set up in 2001 by embroidery artiste Jenny Hart to make embroidery cool/interesting/exciting (when was it ever not those things??). Obviously it was a huge success and is still going strong and continually updating with new patterns. And now I get to pick one!

This is where it gets tricky. Which to pick?? These are my favourites...


At the moment I am erring towards the Dia de los Muertos pattern set. I can never resist a nice bit of Catholic iconography and there are sugar skulls and votive candles. Mary is going to look good on anything, right!?

I really want the Tattoo set for the swallows and the scrolls (not shown above) but I think the knives and skulls might be a bit Ed Hardy and I'm not sure that is a risk I'm willing to take.


I love roller derby! I watched a match in Edinburgh this summer and Whip It! is an excellent film. Naturally I feel inclined towards the Roller Derby set but I think I'd feel like a bit of a cheat embroidering these since I don't skate. The rollergirl is amazing though, such power. [Btw, VB, I see a birthday present...]

And how amazing is Mr. Fox from the Ryan Berkely series?? He also comes with Miss Kitty, Mr. Robin and Mrs. Rabbit. Fantastic Mr Fox is a great book and a great film and a great pattern but where would I put him? I feel he could only really be framed and that is a bit limiting...

So what do we think? Can we pick favourites or is it like trying to decide between your children? Just tooooo tricky. I need to make the call though because they are delivered from Texas so the sooner I place my order the better. Tough tough tough. I am feeling craft-y this week, I've just realised. Essay procrastination much?

Chuck x

4 comments:

  1. That fox is just the most wonderful thing, I'm not surprised you're so smitten with the idea! jazzy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. this embroidery is so cute and whimsical!

    http://pinkchampagnefashion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, isn't he handsome...?

    I want them all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my grandma wouldn't do better !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete