Sunday, January 2, 2011

Resolutions

I put off posting yesterday. Partially this was for practical reasons - New Year's Eve was a very late one in London and it took me a while to wander home. Mostly though I had a mental block - the first day of the new year felt like the first page of a new notebook. I am a wary notebook starter. The crisp, new pages, the possibility, the pressure... I want it to be just right! Since this is rarely possible I thought I'd just skip the pressure and wait for day 2. So here we are.

I don't really do New Year's Resolutions. I think that generally you are just setting yourself up to fail. I'm bored of telling myself I need to lose 10 lbs. That said I have enjoyed reading other people's New Year's Resolutions so I thought I would formulate some general resolutions (no capital) that have been on my mind for a while. It will be good to have them on record to look back on.

Fashion:
  • Try to reduce consumption. I don't need any more clothes, there is no getting around that. I am going to try and master loving clothes and fashion without feeling the need to buy. I need to start saving money and this will be good for my conscience and the environment.
Fiction:
  • Read and blog at least one book a week. I let my book blogging slide too much because it requires actual thought but I am going to try and get it back on track. It will be interesting to see what happens to my reading next term when I start my dissertation. Its twin module is crammed full of sexy full things though so don't worry. Bet you can't wait for my Ulysses post!
Food:
  • Hold a weekly tea party. I need to utilise my beautiful new triple layer cake stand - savories, cakes etc. and petit fours. The works. This blatantly isn't going to happen but it is a nice idea. I don't actually have any real food resolutions at the moment. I am happy with the way I cook and eat. We'll see whether I can hold it all together after I graduate...
  • Ooh, I know, nail pastry.
Miscellaneous:
  • Buy a half decent digital camera and start taking proper photos for the blog and real life.
  • Take up yoga properly. I really enjoy yoga and I know I will get more out of it if I do it more regularly.
  • Work out what I am going to do with my life.
I also need to make a few decisions about this blog. I've been thinking about joining Bloglovin'. What do you think?

Happy New Year one and all.

Chuck x

3 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a weekly tea party! That's my mission this year, I think...hold at least one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not buying shit is also one of my resolutions... for exactly the same reasons. I do not need any more stuff. And I have way more shoes than any sane person needs.

    I'll look forward to the Ulysses post - that is also one of my resolutions to get to the end of that book! I figure that I really should read it all (as apposed to the 1/3 of it I once managed) as it has influenced so many of the writers I love. I will read it and understand it! And hopefully enjoy it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll see what happens with the tea parties... Ulysses is non-negotiable though! It is going to happen. Only a little bit scared about that (or a lot, you know, whatever)!

    ReplyDelete