Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tabbouleh and Other Stories

Feeling a bit mopey this evening (for no particular reason) so I am going to keep it short and sweet. Not to blow my own trumpet or anything but I made a delicious supper tonight and I thought I would share. I went for a light Middle Eastern theme - who doesn't love themed food? - and made Red Onion, Chilli and Lime Tabbouleh with Roasted, Spiced Chickpeas, toasted pitta breads and yoghurt. The recipes were from Nigel Slater's The 30-Minute Cook [N.B. currently only £5.99 on Amazon - bargain!] which I have been enjoying a lot recently. Sorry, I am clearly all about the parentheses today.

Anyway.

Things I have learnt in making my first tabbouleh:
- Bulgar is just 'cracked' wheat. I did not know this. More fool me.
- Don't listen to your bulgar wheat when it tells you it is thirsty, it's eyes are bigger than it's stomach and topping it up with water will make it go a tad soggy. Nige tells you to wring it which sounds strange and I was feeling lazy so I didn't, this was potentially a minor mistake.
- 6 tablespoons of bottled lime juice ≠ the juice of 3 limes. I assumed it would but I can't imagine that Nige intended his recipe to be quite so Starburst-y.
- 50g is a LOT of parsley.


Ingredients:
  • 150g bulgar wheat - Nige used 75g as a side but I wanted a main. I didn't double any of the other quantities but it still turned out very well balanced.
  • 1 medium, sweet red onion, roughly chopped
  • 25g flat-leaf parsley - Nige wanted 50g but I hadn't noted down quantities when I went shopping and it never occurred to me that he might require more than an entire packet of the stuff. Again my measurements worked out well as far as I am concerned.
  • 1 medium-hot red chilli pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • juice of 3 limes/4 tablespoons bottled lime juice (maybe?)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil.
Recipe:
  1. I don't like raw onion so I cooked my red onion first, just with some olive oil and a bit of brown sugar, and put it aside.
  2. Cover your bulgar wheat with boiling water and leave for 15 mins. I left mine uncovered and this seemed to work out.
  3. Mix the finely chopped parsley, chilli, lime juice and olive oil together with salt and pepper.
  4. Fluff the bulgar wheat and toss with the dressing and warm onions.
  5. Stuff into a pitta bread with lots of chickpeas and yoghurt and make an enormous mess all over your clean skirt...
So easy. I was really impressed.

On other notes, have you heard about Jill (of Polkadot) and Elle-gate? A huge and flagrant breach of copyright from a brand/magazine that I know a lot of us admire. Startlingly unprofessional. Show your support here.

In more cheerful news Sarah at The Licentiate is holding an actually-great blog giveaway here. I particularly have my eye on the Kevyn Aucoin book - have heard so many good things.

And so goodnight.

Chuck x

2 comments:

  1. that sounds/looks like my kinda meal! I love all grains!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely growing into them. Want to experiment now... x

    ReplyDelete