Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cock-a-Leekie Pie

My First Pie. I am so proud! I feel all maternal, towards my pie and towards my friends who ate my comforting and nourishing meal. I am officially Mamma Bear now. I made the Cock-a-Leekie Pie from Ravinder Bhogal's wonderful Cook in Boots (which is apparently not in print which is a pity). It is a great book - lovely paper, photos, recipes, SHOES. I got it for Christmas last year mostly for the shoes and it turns out the recipes are excellent too. My good luck!

This wasn't a full pie, in that it only had puff pastry on top and no pastry underneath, but it was still very homely. The use of puff also totally justified me in not trying to make my own pastry! The chicken, leek and mushroom filling was so delicious. It was thick and creamy and lemony and delicious. The Ready-Brek glow of pride...



Festive pie!

Ingredients: (lots but easy)
  • 8 chicken thighs, skinned, boned and chopped into bite-sized chunks
  • 1 large knob of butter
  • 2 leeks, trimmed and roughly chopped
  • 250g chestnut mushrooms (I used standard white mushrooms because I am cheap)
  • 4 thick sprigs of thyme
  • zest and juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 tbsp plain flour
  • 1 glass white wine
  • 200ml double cream
  • ~375g puff pastry
  • 1 egg beaten
Recipe:
  1. Skin, bone, de-sinew, chop chicken thighs. This is a NIGHTMARE. Unless you are muchos broke a la moi buy pre-skinned and de-boned chicken. Otherwise it takes ages and it is a bit gory.
  2. Preheat oven to 200oC.
  3. Melt butter in a pan (I used my treasure le Creuset) and add chicken, salt and pepper and seal the chicken.
  4. Add the leeks, mushrooms, thyme and lemon zest.
  5. Once the mushrooms have browned sprinkle in the flour and stir in.
  6. Pour in the wine and let it bubble off. Stir in the cream and lemon juice.
  7. Simmer for 5 minutes and then leave to cool. Decant into pie dish.
  8. Roll out pastry to 1cm thick and drape over pie dish. Cut off excess pastry and tamp down the edges with a fork. Brush with beaten egg.
  9. Bake for 25mins until golden.
  10. EAT! (accompaniments - mashed potato and peas, old school!).
Totally delicious. Definitely recommend.

Chuck x

3 comments:

  1. Yum, it looks delish. I quite like pies with the pastry only on top, as it can go quite soggy underneath anyway and make a big mess. And I am hugely in favour of pre-made puff pastry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I only like pie with pastry just on top, might make this over christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like full pastry pies when they are Pieminister... Don't think I've got the skillz to make one myself without it going soggy though.

    This one is amazing though - so recommend! x

    ReplyDelete